Monday 17 October 2011

Carn Liath and Culardoch


On day 2, I left Keiloch and bade good morning to an older lady at her cottage. I wondered how many folk she had seen come and go past her window over the years and again, I reflected on life and death. I began to query my state of mind but I felt very at ease as I climbed through the forest to reach the land rover track, which would take me over the barren moor before Culardoch and Carn Liath. I was disturbed from my thoughts by two 4-WD jeeps heading past, with 'HighlandSafaris' emblazoned across the sides. As they wound their way towards the beach, I felt it that it was a shame that such silica gleam (Betjeman) should be found in such a wild place. The paraphernalia at the beach itself was also an eye-opener, though no doubt all in the interest of assessing 'climate change'. Of course. Unfortunately, no views were to be had on Culardoch but a biting wind had me rapidly gulp lunch and descend quickly before heading across to climb Carn Liath. I scared a few deer in the process and began the easy climb up and across the South summit. The wall, which has been created here right along to Creag a chait, is something else. Once again, it showed that man can make his presence felt on the hills but in a more subtle fashion. A rapid descent through the forest had me back at the car at 1445 and ready to take in some 'Us and them' with Senior P. Hello, is anybody out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment