Monday 13 February 2012

Tor-ific time on Conachcraig



After being battered in the NW, a visit to the folks then saw my return to Glasgow go through my favourite part of the country - the 'gorms. I had long fancied Conachcraig for a clear Winter's day and this was to be it. I started at 1200 and was on the top by 1400. I deliberated on this walk and enjoyed the small things, which I certainly never had time to appreciate in Kintail or on Little Wyvis. The ice formations were notable as were the dark crags of Lochnagar. I spoke to a chap who was coming back down and there was much agreement as to how lovely a day it was. The path up from the cottages is brilliant - others have noted that it doesn't feel like an ascent - it really doesn't but the height gained is very satisfying and means that you are at the large tors, in short time. I just love the impressive tors in the 'gorms. I faffed about on them, hid under them, tried some odd photo angles on them and generally acted the goat. Not a soul about. There was a bitter wind at the top so after my lunch, I returned over the Eastern bump and down through the forest. I spotted a wild camp location just off the plateau, which will come into use this summer. The deer here quietly appraise and do not appear to be very fearful of man. The walk back to the car along the path was an end to an invigorating stroll. A super little hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment