Thursday 9 January 2014

Beinn a Bha'ach Ard

The weather gods were not kind on this trip North and after my marination the previous day on Sgurr a Mhaoraich, I was keen to wait for a decent weather window. A short trip into Inverness from the www.thestruy.co.uk meant that I was back in the Inn for 1100, changed and already decided on where my afternoon stroll would be. I could see my hill with a lovely rainbow over it and so decided that this was indeed a positive omen. The walk down Strathfarrar glen is very pleasant. The ugly power station is not but the land rover track behind it made for good progress. I decided to follow a track North-East into the coire of the Corbett. It was quite good going and views over to the Kessock Bridge and beyond were opening up. I started up the South ridge and I was surprised how long this hill was taking me even though the guide book by Cicerone does state a round trip time of 5 hours and 5 minutes. At about 800m, the wind really dropped the temperature and so I layered up - looking West, I could see the start of the Strathfarrar fower, which I'd come back to later this year hopefully.

South, the characteristic double crags of Sgurr an Airgid could be seen while just behind, Glen Affric Munros loomed in broken cloud. I climbed up the final summit and took shelter behind gar trig point, taking a lovely warm cup of cha. I continued North down the slopes and over to the satellite peak before heading SE and over to Loch na Beste. What a beautiful loch this is and it provides a stunning foreground to the Corbett. I whiled away a little time here before realising it was 3.15pm and the shadows were lengthening. From here, the track took me back out at Inchmore (every woman's dream) and the pleasant amble back to the Struy for a well-earned dinner with pint. Good wee day out.





No comments:

Post a Comment