Wednesday 12 February 2014

Creag nan Gabhar

En passant. Heading North to see mum who had been in a car crash. As she had folks for the afternoon session, i took the opportunity to take in this hill en route before seeing her at night. A bitter-sweet hill then. I hadn't felt great on the drive up but once I arrived at Auchallater, the sun broke through and my spirit soared. The walk up on to this was straightforward but I was feeling it - later I'd realise I was coming down with a bug. Once up on to Sron nan Gabhar, the Cairngorms in all their glory lay in every direction. The tors of Ben Avon to the various paraphernalia on the Cairnwell 3. I could see a large group moving up on to Morrone - a vehicle was also with them. How odd. Mountain hares and grouse scattered in every direction - as I walked up to the last part of the hill, I could see substantial avalanche debris in the coire. Chunks of snow as big as cars. Once up to the final plateau, I headed towards the large cairn, where I took tea and some lunch. At this height, it was a brutally cold wind and I didn't linger. I returned down the same route rather than head East and down to Loch Callater as I was a bit unsure how stable the snow fields would be. I got back to the car after 4 hours. A lovely wee hill.




No comments:

Post a Comment