Saturday 28 March 2015

Benvane in black and white

I had considered doing this hill a few years ago, only to sit in the car while it hammered down and I vowed to return in Winter, to avoid the boggy plateau and walk. The drive along the rutted road to Ballimore farm was a slow affair since I didn't want a re-arranged suspension on the R. I arrived to find some snow at about 450m mark so a Corbett was probably the correct choice, quickly ruling out Creag Mhor, which I can return to at a later date. The walk along to the bridge and up on to the hill proper was quick enough and the views back to Creag Mhor, were opening up. As I got to the 450m mark, I noticed a fantastic view over to the higher Munros, near Loch Voil. I believe Stob Binnein was rising majestically and with the dark foreground of Creag Mhor, it made for a nice shot.

The walk along the broad ridge to Benvane was good fun, with wee peat bogs and lochains strewn over the hill. Finally, the climb towards the summit was a steep pull especially now through deeper snow. The wind was biting but within 2 hours of leaving the car, I was at the summit cairn where I took tea and biscuit. I could just make out Loch Venachar down below but that was as far as I could see until I retreated and then views down to Loch Lubnaig and across to Beinn Each and beyond, became evident. Winter is still with us and it provides a real breath of fresh air before the new growth of both season and Martha become apparent. Really good wee walk followed (of course) by a lovely 'wee' full breakfast at http://mhor.net/mhor84-motel/.






No comments:

Post a Comment