Monday 6 February 2023

Carn an Fhreaceadain

I was staying at my folks in Aberdeenshire and had a day to explore the hills. The forecast for the afternoon was not fantastic but I was keen to get the hill fitness back to levels pre-Covid. It had been 7 weeks since the dreaded virus and I had been working back into my fitness through running, MTB and kettlebells. I decided on the 2 hour drive over to Kingussie and keep relatively East of the incoming inclement weather. I parked and changed, and then began the walk up the glen. I couldn't believe that as I walked alongside the golf course that I saw not only 1 red squirrel but 2! Their camouflage meant that I couldn't get a decent photo although they were less shy than I had seen previously. The walk up the land rover track was a joy and the views back over the hills was lovely. It was great just being out and relaxing, knowing I didn't need to rush back.

After about an hour, the path did get steeper and unfortunately I entered into the cloud - with an appreciable decrease in temperature, and an increase in windspeed and drizzle! I headed over to the cairn on Beinn Bhreac (in case it was promoted to anything of note), and then turned into the stiffening breeze for the last few hundred metres to the summit of the Corbett. By the time I had made my way over to the trig point, it was very cold. I touched the summit, took a terrible selfie and began the run down the hill. It was a joy to run down the path and I encountered a couple of folks on the way up who looked a bit shocked at my rapid descent. By the time I got back into the town, 3.5 hours had passed. A decent 19+ km day and Corbett 130 in the bag. Mentally and physically I felt great. Will this be the year I finally compleat the Munros?

No comments:

Post a Comment